School for the Visually Impaired
|Audio Clip Name
|1945||Lennie Tristano, Solo Piano Concert in Copenh (graduate 1938, recognized as being the Father of Modern Jazz)||darn that dream|
|1963||Girls Glee Club||girlsglee club|
|1964||Fall -- -- Wyld Wonzs -- original composition Lonely Girl (lead singer, Mike Louis).mp3||lonely girl|
|1972||Graduation -- Boy's Glee Club.mp3||boysgleeclub|
|1981||Godspell Production -- Day by Day (solo, Gail Porter).mp3||day-by-day|
|1995||Talent Show -- Out Here On My Own (solo, Sonji Jordan).mp3||out here on my own|
|2000||Graduate, Robert Sampson's Blues cd, Every Day.mp3||every day|
|2000||Talent Show, original composition, A Man's Heart (graduate, Quintin Davis).mp3||a man's heart|
|2003||Holiday Season -- Do Not Go My Love (Mingkhwan Zehner).mp3||do not go my love|
|2003||Spring -- Beautiful Thing (original composition by Kari Kinnett).mp3||beautiful thing|
|2004||Spring Program -- Follow Rain and River (Lauria Glowacki).mp3||follow rain and river|
|2004||Talent Show -- The Girl from Ipa Nema (Rondell Ferguson).mp3||the girl from Ipa nema|
|2005||Fall -- Tomorrow Tomorrow (Morgan Schulte).mp3||tomorrow tomorrow|
|2005||Memories of Yrral Harris, graduate 2005.mp3||memories|
|2005||Samuel Bacon festival -- If Only You Believe (Ember Thompson).mp3||if only you believe|
|2006||ISVI's Born To Be (composed by Jovan Benson, sung by Mingkhwan Zehner and Jovan Benson, for ISVI's birthday).mp3||ISVI'S born to be|
|2006||Talent Show, Are You Tapping Tonight (Brando Kozak).mp3||are you tapping tonight|
|2007||A Moment Like This (Sarah Wallace).mp3||a moment like this|
|2008||Talent Show -- Forever and Ever Amen (Kyle Pope).mp3||forever and ever amen|
|2009||Mia Strayer playing harp -- Be Thou My Vision.mp3||be thou my vision|
|2009||Talent Show, Community Chorus -- Duct Tape.mp3||duct tape|
|2010||ISVI's 160 birthday celebration, A Dream, composed by Jovan Benson and song by Mingkhwan Zehner and Jovan for the celebrations.mp3||a dream|
||Jukebox Classics -- Concert Choir -- Africa
Historical Time Line
Illinois School for the Visually Impaired
As of November 15, 2007
by Dan Thompson.
Please contact Dan with additions, corrections or questions.
August 1, 1847: Samuel Bacon left the Ohio School for Galena, Illinois.
December 10, 1847: A public meeting was held in the Methodist Church. At this meeting Judge William Brown presided and James C. Berdon was Secretary.
President Julian M. Sturtevant of Illinois College offered a resolution that declared it to be "expedient to found a school for the blind in Jacksonville, name a committee for obtaining subscriptions for two years financial support, organize a class of eight pupils, and when possible give an exhibition before the Illinois Legislature and finally scilicet a law establishing a state institution."
June 5, 1848: A private School was opened on North Main Street near the railroad in Jacksonville Illinois with four pupils in attendance, "George Springer, John Jones, Joseph and Nancy Fielding."
Dr. English employed his widowed house keeper/Matron, Miss Sarah Graves, for the school. She agreed to perform all house keeping chores for $1.50 per person per week. In return she would pay $60.00 per year for the part of the house used by her family.
December 1848: The four students were competent in singing 20 songs, reading some of a bible printed in raised letters and computing mental mathematics including fractions and square roots.
December 23, 1848: The Board of Trustees met and moved that "the school should be continued, amount of pupils should be increased and additional funds be raised until the Legislature assumes responsibility for the school."
January 10, 1849: Senate bill #19, was introduced and signed by Governor Augustus C. French on January 13 establishing the Illinois School for the Education of the Blind with a Board of Trustees of five Morgan County men "Judge Samuel D. Lockwood, Colonel James Dunlop, Denis Rockwell, William W Happy and Samuel Hunt." James C. Berdon was not a member of the Board but had been the Secretary of the private school’s board and remained in that post.
Mr. Bacon was appointed as Principal.
This bill was prepared by Judge William Thomas, sponsored by Representative Richard Yates and Senator Newton Cloud. The Legislature appropriated $3,000 to enable the trustees to build. The school was supported by a tax of 1/10 mill upon every dollars worth of taxable property. It opened in the "mansion house" of Colonel James Dunlop (on Mound Avenue) which was rented for $225 for the first year with Samuel Bacon as Principal.
February 3, 1849: The new Board of Trustees met in Lawyer James C. Burden’s office. While Mr. Burden was not a member of the Board as mentioned above, he remained Secretary. Officers were: "President Judge Samuel D. Lockwood, two year term member Colonel James Dunlop, four year member Denis Rockwell, four year member William W Happy and two year member Samuel Hunt." In this meeting a circular was developed regarding the school and applications were invited from blind persons over ten years old. Out of state applicants were charged, $100.00 a year tuition. There was not any mention of an upper age limit.
The Board employed Mr. Bacon as Principal for a annual wage of $600.00 plus board and lodging.
Mrs. Sarah Graves was continued as Matron with a yearly wage of $250.00 for her and family.
April 2, 1849: School opened on the first Monday with no pupils.
April 7, 1849: Two pupils enrolled. By July, 1849, there were 14 pupils between the ages of 12 and 30. Term of attendance was eight years.
July 9, 1849: Architect, Mr. Koscilowski, presented the Board with a drawing for a school building that included accommodations for housing.
June 27, 1850: Mr. Bacon resigned. Dr. Joshua Rhoads becomes Superintendent.
1852: A deaf-blind male child entered the Institution and remained until end of 1855 term.
The age of entrance was twelve years and no applicant older than thirty years was allowed unless special permission by the Board of Trusties.
1853: A blue Ribbon was won at the State Fair for articles displayed and made in the "blind school shop."
January, 1854: School opened in the new building on the former JJ Hardin ground on East State Building. The building was unfinished, but completed by January, 1855.
1855: Mr. Joshua Rhoades refused the proposal to make profit from articles made in the "blind school workshop."
1856: A small workshop was built where later the east wing of the Old Main Building stood until 1970.
Dr. Rhoades stated, "The Legislature intended this for a school and not a manufactory."
1857: County Judges were asked to certify purchase of "good and sufficient clothing through vouchers to the auditors of Public Accounts to the Principal in cases where parents could not provide the same."
1858: sewing machines were first used on campus for making drapes and repairing student clothing. However, sewing machine instruction was not added to the curriculum until 1885.
1859: Dr Harem K. Jones was employed as the Institution’s first medical doctor.
1860: An organ with 24 stops was installed. This same year the Legislature refused Dr. Rhoades' request for a fire proof roof for the Main Building.
1861: Title of Principal changed to Superintendent.
1862: A primary department started with Alice Rhoads in charge. Minimum age still 12. Term of residence reduced from eight years to five years.
Dr. Rhoads was given a vote of confidence by the Board of Trusties against the complaint of a student. There was also an expression of disapproval of musically trained pupils to become street performers.
1863: the 40 week term began with first day of school being third Wednesday of September.
1864: Dr. Rhoads noted that blindness is on the increase. The school shouldn’t be referred to as an asylum but instead a training center for the young.
1865: Furnaces were installed to take the place of stoves.
Increased population made an assistant Matron necessary.
1867: Up until this year students from other states were allowed to attend upon paying $100.00 tuition.
April 20, 1869: School burned to ground with no lives lost. Berea College, property of Mrs. Elias Ayers, secured to house pupils and continue school.
1869: School lost suit to keep all of its property, to the Jacksonville and Carrolton Railroad. The railroad won a large strip of land on the west end of the property. 30 feet.
1870: School rebuilt (part later to be known as west wing). The building was 3 stories high.
1871: Until this year, Dr. Rhoads advertised the school through trips with pupils and printed papers. Due to over crowding, Dr. Rhoads discontinued this practice
1872: The course of study was divided into Elementary, Intermediate and Advanced.
1874: The central portion of school built. Dr. Rhoads retired after 24 years of service and Dr. F.W. Phillips became the new Superintendent. Furnaces were removed from the school building and heating was by steam from an engine and boiler house.
1874: Superintendent Phillips divided the Literary Department into "Preparatory", "Intermediate", "Junior High" and "Senior High" departments.
The daily program started at 5:30 AM. Dr. Phillips didn't allow any tobacco on campus. The slate and stylus was discouraged to reduce "communication between girls and boys."
During Dr. Phillip’s Administration age of admission was lowered to ten and age of dismissal or graduation was changed to 21.
1875: Chair caning was first taught at the Institution. - In April of 1875 the shop was closed until the following fall term due to lack of funds.
1876: The department of "Intermediate" in the "Literary Department" was dropped leaving "Preparatory", "Junior High" and Senior High." Slates and stylus were allowed only for the transcription of music.
1877: First class of six students graduated from the Senior Department.
1878: Shop certificates were awarded to help make the vocational department self sustaining. Broom making tools were provided for those certified workers who could not afford to buy them.
1882: East wing added. School opened in September instead of October, as formerly.
1884: a new Organ was installed to replace the one installed in 1860.
1885: Piano tuning was first taught to advanced students. Use of the sewing machine was included in the course of study.
1887: The Alumni Association was formed by R. I. Carpenter, a graduate of 1881.
January 17, 1888: Dr. F. W. Phillips died. W. S. Phillips, his son, appointed Superintendent temporarily.
1889: A co-educational kindergarten started. The minimum age was lowered to 10.
Summer of 1890: Association of American Instructors of the Blind met at the school. The planning and advertisement started in September 1885. Dr. Phillips mailed out seven thousand circulars about the school.
June 30, 1890: The minimum age was lowered to age 5 years. Frank Haven hall was appointed Superintendent.
September, 1891: A printing shop was opened where Boston Line was used. American Braille introduced via music. (Hall Braille Writer in experimental form).
During Dr. Hall’s early Administration he divided the Literary Department into co-educational Kindergarten, Primary, four sections in the Intermediate grades (four for boys and four for girls), and high school which was non co-educational.
1891: A broom shop was opened.
During Dr. Hall’s Administration two deaf blind girls attended the school.
1892: Braille Writer introduced. Piano tuning is added for all high school students. Dr. A. L. Adams, Assistant to Dr. A. E. Prince, Consulting Occultist. Hall’s Stereotype-Maker was introduced. This enabled the production of Braille books.
January 4, 1893: Student help was first used in the Superintendent’s office.
The Stereotype machine was first used to produce Braille books.
July 1, 1893: reverend W. F. Short Replaced F. H. Hall as Superintendent.
1895: As a result of Dr. Phillips work in early 1884, an Industrial Home for Blind Men was open in Chicago.
1896: A new gym was built. This gym was demolished in 1964, making way for the current one.
July, 1897: F. H. Hall replaced Dr. Short as Superintendent. hall introduced a course of study- and departmentalized the school into kindergarten, primary, intermediate and high school.
1902: Joseph A. Freedman replaced F. H. Hall as Superintendent.
1905: The name of our school was changed to "Illinois School for the Blind".
The Department of Massage was first introduced.
1906: Co-education was first allowed in High School.
1907: G.W. Jones replaced Joseph A. Freeman as Superintendent.
1908: ISB won cup in National Athletic Contest (blind youths). the correspondence School and Department of Massage were discontinued after three years trial.
1908: ISB won first place in the first track meet held by the National Athletic Association of schools for the Blind.
Younger pupils living quarters were separated from older pupils along with eating in separate dining rooms.
1911: R.W. Woolston replaced G. W. Jones as Superintendent.
During Superintendent Woolston’s administration there were a number of first including: achievement testing, formation of Student Council, Intermediate Co-education, co-educational dancing, boy and girl scouts and class meetings. A formal Boy and Girl Scout troop was not established until the early 1930's.
1913: H.C. Montgomery replaced R. W. Woolston as Superintendent.
1914: Adult blind were no longer admitted as pupils except in special situations to learn piano tuning or read/write Braille.
1915: Helen Keller visited the Illinois School for the Blind. She visited the Illinois School for the Deaf in 1939.
1917: R.W. Woolston replaced H.C. Montgomery as Superintendent.
1921: Post graduate work in vocational education for was offered at ISB for the first time.
1923-33: The construction of five cottages began to replace old ones and provide additional housing. Before this project, many of the students lived in the Old Main.
1924: An Illinois Board of Higher Education of the Blind was established to act in the matter of scholarships for graduates from ISB.
1927: A new Organ was installed to replace the one installed in 1884.
1929: A Swimming Pool was built. The pool is still in use today with added features of a heater, steps down into the pool and mats around the deck.
1930: A new campus library was built to replace the one located on the third floor of the Old Main.
1931: first formal Boy Scout troop was formed.
July 13, 1931: old Little Boy's Dorm was demolished and current Unit Four construction started. The building was finished in 1932.
1932: Sight Saving talking books were first introduced in the campus library. This resulted in the introduction of a new program called "sight saving." A new operating room was constructed in the campus Hospital, later called the "Little Red Schoolhouse."
1935: The first formal Girl Scout troop was formed.
1938: The current Power Plant was built replacing the one previously located where the dining room is today.
1940: The current Dining room was built where the Powerhouse used to stand.
1946: The first Institute for Parents of preschool blind children took place.
1947: R.W. Woolston died and Leo J. Flood was appointed Acting Superintendent.
1948: Leo J. Flood was appointed Superintendent.
1949: ISB’s Centennial was observed with the Pageant of Roses. A total of 1,500 spectators attended the event on an outdoor stage that was located in the square area bordered by Unit Five, Unit Six and the High School Girl’s Dorm, (the Mansion.) Units Five and Six were demolished in 1998 to make room for the current Independent Living Center. The Mansion was demolished to make room for Unit 17, (Library and elementary Class room Building.)
1950: The Joshua Rhoads Auditorium was built.
1951: An elevator was installed in the main.
1952: The Old Main underwent rewiring and installation of new light fixtures. New floor coverings throughout the whole building were installed. The Recreational Department was established. A program of cooperative education with Jacksonville High School was established.
1953: The Power Plant was rehabilitated.
1953: ISB won first place in the "Association Of Blind Schools" Track Meet, held in Saint Louis.
January 1, 1954: The name of school changed to Illinois Braille and Sight Saving School.
1954: The vocational curriculum was reorganized to include metal craft and machine shop.
The Old Main’s exterior was repaired.
1955: Three events occurred including: establishment of a cooperative program with Routt High School, First Biennial Career’s Conference and New dial telephone system throughout the campus.
1956: The exterior of high school girls’ cottage was rehabilitated
1956: the NCASB Track Meet took place in Jacksonville and IBSSS took first place.
1957: This year saw the rewiring of hospital building and the three girls’ cottages along with installation of new light fixtures throughout campus.
The IBSSS Girls Glee Club won the first place Trophy in State competition.
The IBSSS Girl’s Chorus received the Lowell B. Mason Award.
1964: A number of building projects were started including: the current gym, Library/elementary Class room building and Unit 18. Therefore, the old Library, Gym and High School Girl’s Dorm were demolished. During the construction of Unit 18, girls were housed on the fourth floor of the Old Main.
1967: The current Maintenance Building was built.
Fall of 1970: The new Main first occupied for classes.
January 26-27, 1973: A Doll was presented to IBSSS Cheerleaders for their excellent performance.
October 15, 1976: Doctor Richard Umsted becomes Superintendent replacing Jack R. Hartong.
School Year 1976-77: The school’s name changed from "Illinois Braille and Sight Saving School" to "Illinois School for the Visually Impaired."
1980: ISVI won the second place Forensic Trophy.
1984: Ramps were installed on all boy’s dorms.
1986: The air conditioning was put
in Unit Two.
ISVI wins Forensics third place
1987: An intercom system using tones instead of bells replaced
the bell system.
ISVI won third place in NCASVH Forensic Festival.
1988: Air conditioners were put in Unit Three and Unit Four.
The current garage was constructed.
ISVI won fourth place in the NCASVH Forensic Festival.
1989 New typing program is called
the "Word Processing Department."
ISVI won the third place NCASVH Forensic Festival Trophy.
1990: The "Little Red Schoolhouse" (old Campus Hospital) was
demolished along with the old garage.
Under the Little Red Schoolhouse was a campus barbershop. This was used until around 1970. Mr. Files was the Barber in the 1960's.
1991: ISVI wins the fourth place NCASVH Forensic Festival Trophy.
1993: Elevators were installed in all three east campus dorms.
August 23, 1994: Doctor Umsted leaves and is replaced by Acting Superintendent Charlie Martin.
July 24, 1995: Doctor Dorothy Arensman becomes Superintendent, replacing Acting Superintendent Charlie Martin.
February 24, 1996: The NCASVH Choral Festival was held at ISVI.
Spring of 1998: Unit six, (little girls dorm), and Unit Five, (high school girls dorm) were demolished. In recent years, Unit Six was a Independent Living training dorm and a Computer Center.
Unit Five was the office for Department of Rehabilitation Services, housed the Deaf-Blind classes and also was used for independent living training in the last few years. The two dorms hadn't housed the (k-6 grade girls) and (high school girls) since early 1970's.
The new Independent Living Center construction was started. This building is located sitting diagonal across the area previously occupied by Units Six and Five.
June 22, 1998: Doctor Arensman leaves and Mr. Jim Agner becomes Acting Superintendent
June 1998: The first Technology and Life Skills mini-summer camps were held for one week with around 30 students attending.
April 12, 1999: Ceremonies were held to mark the 150th Anniversary of the school's founding. Dr. Tuck Tinsley of the American Printing for the Blind gave the ceremonial address for those attending.
June 1999: Second annual summer mini-camps including: Technology, Fine arts and Life Skills were held with 55 students attending.
August 16, 1999: Doctor Victoria Tripodi becomes Superintendent replacing Acting Superintendent Jim Agner.
August 1999: the new Independent Living Center was opened for students.
September 1999: the intercom system was updated.
September 20, 1999: Elementary Boy’s Dorm, Unit Three was demolished.
Unit Three was the Middle School age boy’s dorm up to a few years ago. In recent years the dorm has housed the Independent Living Program on the first floor and student teachers on second floor. This building was finished in 1934 while Mr. Woolston was Superintendent.
September 23, 1999: High School Boy’s Dorm demolition was started. This dorm was built in 1936.
October 1999: this may be the month for the ground breaking of the Dorm on east end of campus.
November 17, 1999: Formal Ribbon Cutting ceremonies for the new Transitional Living Center and Ground Breaking for the new Student Dormitory is held.
July, 2001- 2003 - Reggie Clinton is Superintendent
School year 2001-03 - Jill Dillard is Principal
May, 2003 - Power outage and emergency generators were used for about two weeks
School year 2003-04 - Terrific Kids Tickets; motivational program introduced by Jill Dillard
2003-04 school year - Les Stevens serves as Principal
October, 2003 - June, 2004: Mr. Carroll Jackson is Superintendent
January, 2004 - Work on a new Technology plan to obtain funding from the E-rate Grant and upgrade technology/LAN system on campus
March 16, 2004 - First ever Technology Assistant, Shelly Williams, hired to work in conjunction with Director of Computer Services, Brenda Stewart
September, 2004 - Trudy Haffer becomes Principal
September, 2004 - "The Wise Warrior" Motivational Program introduced by Trudy Haffer
July, 2004 - Marketing Committee formed to promote positive qualities and services/resources available at ISVI
September 16, 2004 - Pat Langdon and Brenda Stewart give presentation on "Environmental Modifications and Assistive Technology for Blind and Visually Impaired Students" for the Counsel for Exceptional Children, Chapter 99 in ISVI's Library.
Summer, 2005 - new windows were put on Unit 18. (This was originally intended for female students. However, it has become a co-ed dorm with elementary boys upstairs and junior high girls down)
August, 2005 - the big maple tree in small parking lot was removed, a circle drive was installed and parking lot was sealed.
September, 2005 - additional security was installed around GYM, Unit 17, and O&M garden.
April 2005 Doctor Richard Snowden becomes Superintendent.
August, 2005 - All work is completed in replacing all fiber optic and copper runs throughout campus as well as replace and increase the number of LAN drops in all buildings, via a $293,000.00+ E-rate Grant.
September, 2006 - a circle drive was put in the small front parking lot for buses to go through with needing to turn around to leave after dropping off students.
2005-06 school year - the classroom computer hubs were taken out of class rooms. Each building has one hub that connects all computers.
2005-06 school year - first three full-time classroom aides were hired. Residential Care Workers did this job up to this point. However, new laws mandated that by 2007, aides in special education classes have attended at least 60 hours of college.
September 1, 2006 - Teen Center (snack bar) reopened after being remodeled. The Blind Venders business Enterprise Organization along with the state outfitted the new Teen Center with many many new vending machines and games for students/staff to enjoy. Hopes are that the location will provide some blind vender with an income or be an On-the-Job-Training site (OJE).
October 1, 2006 - Sports Car Rally with 14 drivers and navigators.
February 28 2006 - first snow day. Teachers and students stayed in the dorms and did activities in groups. School resumed in classrooms in the afternoon after lunch.
March, 2006 - Annabel Sparks donated an organ for the Auditorium.
April, 2006 - the Main Building was equipped with surveillance cameras in all hallways. A security room was established in a separate room within the Health Center area in what once was the medicine room.
May 4, 2006 - the first Samuel Bacon Music Festival was held. This replaced the Lowell B. Mason Music Festival that took place every year since 1920; the last being in 1976.
May 3, 2006 - Paul Drake was hired to direct the Business Enterprise OJE and Step Program for locating employment for students both on and off campus.
May 15, 2006 - Trudy Haffer leaves to take a job in Springfield, Illinois training individuals to work with disabled persons.
November 11, 2006 - Joan M. Forney becomes the Interim Superintendent and an ISVI Stakeholders Committee is formed.
November 13, 2007 - Joan Forney published her first "Online With ISVI" monthly newsletter. It eventually was published weekly. This was put on the schools web page and sent out to all staff. It was an excellent way of sharing successes with all the staff and extended community. (All issues of "Online With ISVI" are available in the ISVI Alumni Historical Museum located at the school.
November 2006 - The first issue of "ISVI Happenings" was published by Stephanie Leach, Director of School Development. This is a newsletter made available to all parents and students/staff highlighting events from the previous month. The newsletter is typically published just before a home-going trip so students can discuss with parents the various events and activities currently taking place at ISVI.
December 1st, 2006 - A major blizzard hit Jacksonville. All schools as well as most businesses were closed. Staff and faculty worked together providing transportation with personally-owned 4-wheel drive vehicles. Many of the main roads in Jacksonville were heavily snow covered with nearly all sides roads closed or near closed. Nevertheless, students still attended classes and were served meals--all in the dormitories.
January 15, 2007 - Janet McGovern becomes ISVI's new principal.
January 19, 2007 - ISVI holds a "Birthday Bash" in honor of when funds were first made available for the building of the "Illinois Asylum for the Blind" in Jacksonville. In 1865 the school's name was changed to the "Illinois Institute for the Education of the Blind."
February 15, 2007 - Five staff and eleven students attended the Braille Challenge at the Missouri School for the Blind in Saint Louis. All reported they had a great time.
May 26, 2007 - the first "Visionary Award" was given to Dr. Derrald Taylor. This award is given in recognition of an outstanding individual who has contributed significantly to enhancing the educational and everyday lives of visually impaired children as well as influencing growth and progress in the field of educating blind and visually impaired young people.
2006-2007 - Other significant achievements made possible by ISVI staff
and administration working together is noted below from a passage taken from
the superintendent’s May, 2007 annual report:
"The budget office in the Department of Human Services/Division of Rehabilitation Services awarded ISVI an additional $150,000.00 to purchase textbooks in March and April. New textbooks were ordered in these subject areas: Reading, Math, Child Development, Assistive Technology, Social Studies, Science, Language Arts, American Government, and US History. Since January, ISVI has ordered a total of $175,000 worth of new textbooks with the additional dollars and with grant money in these mediums: regular print, large print, Braille, and audio. During this school year, ISVI purchased 29 computers, a Braille Embosser, BookPorts and Microsoft Office Licenses with regular general revenue and grant funds. In March, the DHS budget office secured an additional $7,000 to allow us to purchase increased security for student access to computers. In May, the DHS budget office awarded ISVI an additional $64,000 to purchase up-dated technology. These funds allowed us to purchase Dragon Naturally Speaking, J-Say Standard, Kurzweil 3000, MagniTalk, Mountbatten Pro Brailler, Duxbury for Windows, 43 laser printers, 9 computers, additional Microsoft Office Licenses, 12 Speaking Language Masters SE, 2 Merlin CCTVs, 10 Book Ports, 10 Scientific Calculators, 2 QuickLook Magnifiers, 2 Liberty Solos, 3 Traveller's, 2 PCT-Mobile Units, and 13 Victor Reader Classics. The up-dated textbooks and technology will be positive additions to our educational program." (A detailed explanation of ISVI’s achievements throughout the year can be found in ISVI’s Historical Museum from the "Superintendent’s Annual Report for 2006-07.")
Fall, 2007 - Starting the new school year in August of 2007, ISVI staff
and students have many new and exciting things happening as stated in the
August 13, 2007 version of "Online With ISVI":
"...to learn as you embark on a new school year, that "change is good." This school year we truly can embark upon changes as positive elements for ISVI. We will begin this year with new textbooks in all school subjects, up-dated technology in the computer area and in assistive technology, a new student server, a newly-written curriculum in language arts and transition including a new statewide program, Goals Advocacy Transition Empowerment Shortcourses (GATES), and revisions in the IEP process."
November 19, 2007 - Announcement was made that Reggie Clinton will become the next Superintendent of ISVI. This announcement was made official by Dr. Robert Kilbury, Director of the Division of Rehabilitation Services, Department of Human Services. "Mr. Reggie Clinton, former superintendent of ISVI and current superintendent of the Arcola School District, has accepted the permanent position of superintendent at ISVI. Mr. Clinton will begin his new tenure at ISVI effective January 2, 2008."
April 4 2008 - Eight cutting edge electronic note takers from HumanWare were delivered to ISVI. These devices are like laptops without a screen and are equal to a laptop in all ways. ISVI students now have access to a wide range of note takers including: Freedom Scientific Products (Type & Speak, Braille & Speak, Braille Lite, and Pac Mate), HumanWare Products (Braille Note BT, Braille Note QT and Voice Note BT/QT) with GPS capabilities and complete Oxford Dictionaries, and the LevelStar Icon Mobile Manager.
Students also use several types of book storage devices that also are mp3/voice recorders including: Milestone, BookPort and Victor Reader Stream.
The Low Vision Department has a wide range of cutting edge CCTVs both handheld and on carts as well as magnifiers and modern lighting.
November and December 2008 - All windows in the "Main," or Frank Hall Building, were replaced with new energy-efficient windows at a cost of over $350,000.00. The windows are have a steel casing and are a sash window that can easily be opened and have screens that the previous windows did not have.
Feb. 24, 2009 - Mrs. Strang's Orientation to Family & Food Science classes made cookies for the Franklin/Waverly Military Support Group. The cookies will be sent to U.S. troops deployed overseas. The students were happy to show their appreciation for what the troops are doing for our country.
Additional Links Admissions Advisory Council Annual Calendar Assistive Technology Reference Guide Birth to 3 Program Campus Tour Directions to ISVI Education Department References Education Departmental Pages Employment Opportunities Facts About ISVI GATES Guidance Corner Human Resources ISVI Happenings Low Vision Clinic Maps Mission & Objectives Online With ISVI Opening Doors Conference Parents Need to Know Prospective Students Recreation News Recreational Schedule Requesting Campbell Soup Labels Residential Programs School News Site Map Sports Staff Directory Summer Camps Tech Tips Tips For Parents Transition Transportation Virtual Experience of ISVI Vision Information Vision for the Future Website Visitors Weekly Calendar Weekly Menu Who to Contact Workshops & Seminars